It’s Mid-March and the fast pace of Lent is in full swing. For many pastors, the season of Lent is the busiest time of the year. If you are anything like me, your desk is covered in sticky notes, books and piles of paper all of which are necessary to ensure that you are ready for the many worship services and other duties that face you. The last thing that you want to think about right now is putting something else onto your calendar, even if it is something as beneficial and enjoyable as the upcoming 2017 Texas District Theological Convocation.
If you have still been waiting to sign up for this year’s convocation, unsure if it will be worth your time to attend, let me try to persuade you with these important points to remember:
- Even if things seem out of control in your schedule right now, the convocation does not take place until May 1-3, well after the Easter holiday has passed and things have gotten back to a more predictable schedule.
- This year’s topic will be especially interesting! The title for this year’s convocation is True Concord: Scripture, Confessions, and the Body of Christ. With esteemed presenters Rev. Dr. Robert Kolb (Concordia Seminary – Saint Louis) and Rev. Dr. Roland Ziegler (Concordia Theological Seminary – Fort Wayne), we will explore questions relating to the interaction between Holy Scripture, the Lutheran Confessions, and the way in which we live our lives together as the Body of Christ in general and as pastors in particular.
- In addition to the academic value of the convocation, you will find rest for your souls as we gather around the Word together in devotional opportunities interspersed between our topical presentations.
- Academic and spiritual benefit are of great value, but so also is the fellowship that you will enjoy with the other attendees. Come and re-connect with friends serving all over the district in an atmosphere that is away from the demands of your local congregation. A meal will be provided at noon on Tuesday, and you will be free to explore the many dining and entertainment options available in Austin in the evenings. Not to mention a Social Hour on Monday and a President’s Reception on Tuesday will be held at the hotel after the close of the day’s activities. Gemütlichkeit is sure to fill the room!
- Finally, your ministry will benefit greatly from attending this convocation. You will be more fully prepared to answer the questions that we all face from time to time about how a Sola Scriptura church can be so serious about its confessional documents. And you will be better equipped to work together in concord with your brother pastors having a common understanding of the role of the Scriptures and the Confessions in our life together.
There is no time like the present to take the step of registering for the convocation. Registration rates increase with the close of March so register today and place this valuable opportunity for rest, fellowship and professional growth on your calendar.
A full schedule, golf tournament details, hotel information, and the registration page can all be found HERE!
By: Rev. Nate Hill
Pastor – Saint Michael’s Lutheran Church – Winchester, Texas