You’ve heard the statistic before: the population in Texas is growing by 500,000 people each year. More than two-thirds of those people do not know Jesus as Savior and are not connected with a church. And God has placed us here in the Texas District to be the light of the world, a city set on a hill, so that all may know the Good News of Jesus Christ the Savior.
How are we meeting the challenge?
First of all, YOU, the front line heroes of the Texas District, are engaged in remarkable discipleship and outreach locally. Dedication to the Lord’s beautiful and life-giving mission stretches from West Texas to the Gulf Coast and from the DFW Metroplex to the Rio Grande Valley. You, God’s people, are advancing the Kingdom boldly through your ministries.
You’re also bringing the Gospel far beyond the bounds of your local communities through the mission partnership we call the Texas District LCMS. Because of your prayers, your generosity and your dedication you are making a significant Gospel difference:
• You’ve helped start five new Word and Sacrament ministries in Texas in 2015, bringing the total of new congregations in Texas to 104 since 2004.
• You’ve fueled the work of more than 45 ministries around the state and more than 160 missionaries reaching out with the Gospel.
• You’ve partnered to reach 9,000 people each week with the love of Jesus through ministries supported by the district.
• You’ve helped bring the news of salvation in more than 15 languages to students, immigrants from around the world, Muslims, atheists, inner city kids, oil workers, the poor, the homeless, young and old, rural communities, highschool moms, and more.
• You’ve created momentum for more than two dozen “embryonic” churches getting started in apartment complexes, homes, coffee shops and existing congregations.
Thank you for your faithful and kind partnership in the Gospel. We give all praise and glory to our Savior who does wonderful things through His people!
What’s in store for 2016?
You’ll be hearing about many exciting developments, but please consider one goal and plea: Will you help swell the ranks of prayer partners for God’s mission in Texas?
Jesus said, “The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few. Therefore pray earnestly to the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into his harvest” (Luke 10:2).
Will you pray and recruit pray-ers for our mission efforts in Texas? Over the next three years, we hope to enlist the prayer support of 10 percent of the baptized membership of the Texas District. Currently our baptized membership is 132,000. That means we would be blessed to see 13,200 prayer partners. We need to add 12 new prayer partners each day for the next three years to meet the goal. Your family members, your small group, your quilting circle, your neighborhood and your church can join in prayer. Just go to m2c/Prayer to sign up and to receive weekly mission prayer starters.
For 2016, let’s start with prayer!
By: Rev. Michael Newman
Area C Mission and Ministry Facilitator